The house itself belonged to a famous merchant of the day called John Bolton. He raised his own private army to fight the French and was the last man in the country to fight a duel with pistols, and win...
As the area around the dock devloped, the merchants moved further away and the homes became businesses and offices for the booming shipping industry. It is thought The Monro became a beer house in about 1815.
The current owners bought the business in 2003 with the simple mission of bringing genuinely fresh food, from the countryside to the city, using local producers. This too was revolutionary at the time and while many eateries talk the talk, they still don't walk the walk, unlike The Monro which cooks every meal from fresh - guaranteed.
SEE THE MENU
BOOK A TABLE